Row erupts between Commonwealth Games organisers in Delhi
COMMONWEALTH Games chief executive Mike Hooper has admitted his disappointment after Delhi 2010 organisers called for his head on Thursday.
PROBLEMATIC: Row erupts between Delhi organisers as the Commonwealth Games saga continues
Hooper has responded angrily to comments made by head of the Delhi 2010 organising committee Suresh Kalmadi, who demanded the sacking of the New Zealander.
Kalmadi has claimed that Hooper was of no use to the organising committee and was in fact an impediment to the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
But in the latest twist of the Delhi 2010 saga, Hooper has hit back at Kalmadi.
"I am very disappointed to hear the comments by Kalmadi today," said Hooper.
"It's his view. I view my role here has been independent in the last two years. It seems I was in position of seriously addressing the real issues.
"Launching a personal attack was most unfortunate. To me it's unfortunate and totally inappropriate."
The organisation of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, which are now less than a year away, has been turbulent to say the least as infrastructure difficulties and continued red-tape threaten to throw organisers behind schedule.
Last month, Randhir Singh, secretary-general of the Indian Olympic Association, blamed the disorganisation on the fact that there are a staggering 23 committees, charged with organising the Games.
Commonwealth Games Federation president Michael Fennell has already warned that Delhi faces an enormous challenge to be ready by next October and called for major changes to the organising committee.
But Kalmadi dismissed Fennell's suggestion of setting up an independent panel of experts to oversee the preparations of the Games and called for Hooper to be sacked.
"[Mike] Hooper has not been beneficial for the organising committee, he is of no use to us," said Kalmadi. "We want the Commonwealth Games Federation to replace him.
"I am willing to take any expert suggested by the CGF on our co-ordination committee, but we feel there is no need to impose an additional technical committee on us."
The problems surrounding Delhi 2010 are aggravated by security fears that currently exist on the subcontinent.
Earlier this year, Badminton England withdrew from the World Championships in Hyderabad, citing security fears amid terrorist threats, while the death toll in last November's attack in Mumbai reached 172.
While Australian Commonwealth Games Association chief Perry Crosswhite has admitted he could not guarantee athlete's safety and would be letting them decide for themselves if they want to compete.